Ariadne's Thread
At the lowest point of my job search, I was half-listening to an audio recording of a Joseph Campbell book, and focused in on a discussion of Ariadne's thread. I didn't hear the words with any precision, but I grabbed what later proved to be a useful idea. The hero Theseus rescues himself from the darkness, from the maze, not the grand act of killing the minotaur, but by following Ariadne's thread -- the barely perceptable. glimmer of guidance in the dark. At the time, my job search had been completely pointness. I was broke and was sending out 10 or 12 job applications a day, while working as a substitute teacher. I couldn't pay my bills. And I had started the job search from a low point to begin with: burned out, bitter. In short, I had started low and remained there. The idea of Ariadne's thread stuck with me, and I would repeat to myself frequently, like a mantra. Just follow Ariadne's thread. There will be no grand signs, no burning bushes, no...